Saturday, February 6, 2016

Latvia: Exclusive! Interview with Edvards Grieze "I hope that my song inspires listeners to overcome the battles inside and get ready for a NEW DAY!"

Edvards Grieze is one of the contestants for the Latvian national selection "Supernova 2016" with his song "New Day". He will perform on 7th February 2016 in Riga.

 We had the chance to talk to Edvards Grieze some days ago about his participation in the Latvian national selection "Supernova 2016" . Read our interview with him below to find out what he had to say...


Hello Edvards, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the Latvian national selection “Supernova 2016”.

How does it feel to be part of the national selection with your song “New Day”?
Edvards: It is very exciting. I have never participated in a event as big as this so I did not know what to expect. But every new experience is a good thing, in my opinion.

Who had the idea that you could participate in the Latvian national selection and who decided “New Day”?
Edvards: Actually my friends and family last couple of years were telling me "You should apply, you should’’, but I didn’t feel quite ready for such a huge step. This year felt different.  I applied to audition as a solo artist without a song. That ment I had to wait for the song to be given.

What is the message of "New Day"?
Edvards: I’m sure that the author of the song Pavel Fomkin has his own message as I hope the listeners will come up with their own. For me, the song in some ways means victory. ‘’I woke up in a new day’’ ‘’I’m ready for the great changes’’. These lines from the chorus resonated with me the most. It can be very difficult to let go some resentments or  bad experiences, so I hope that the song inspires listeners to overcome the battles inside and get ready for a new day!

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Edvards: It all started when I was around four years old. My parents, and I am very thankful to them, signed up me in the local popstudio “Sea Stones’’ in my hometown Ventspils. There I learned the fundaments of performing and singing. There I fell in love with music! Studies in Ventspils Highschool of music helped to improve my skills and knowledge. I met Dj Makree and we started a very successful collaboration, that gave me some recognition in Latvia. Now I am working with producers like Rassell, who is very well known in Latvia. Here you can listen to our song "Laika ritmā" from last year...

What are you expecting in the national selection “Supernova 2016”, are you excited?
Edvards: I’m trying not to overload my brain with expectations, all of the attention and energy I put in to preparing my performance. But it is something I have never done, so excited would be putting it mildly.

How do you prepare yourself for the show?
Edvards: For me, the key is to visualize myself already perfoming on the big stage. Imagining the cameras on You and performing my ass off! Quality, in my opinion, is the most important thing You have to have in the performance.

Are you a Eurovision fan?
Edvards: I’m not the biggest fan, but watching eurovision is almost like a tradition every year.

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Latvian entries?
Edvards: I wouldn’t say that I have any particular favorite. Routing for all of them!

What is your first Eurovision memory?
Edvards: First hmmm... I remember as a little boy watching how Maria Naumova brought eurovision to Latvia. That was something incredible and it proved to me, that altough we are a small nation, we can show the whole world how big are our people.

What are your plans for 2016 beside the Latvian national selection, are you working on a album?
Edvards: There is a lot of material just waiting to be recorded, so I’m hoping to start work on my first solo album.

What was the most excited moment in your life?
Edvards: The birth of my youngest brother surely takes the top spot.

If people outside Latvia never heared about you before – what should they know about you?
Edvards: I am still getting to know myself and it has been an exciting journey. I love simple and real emotions, nothing over exaggerated and I hope these are the qualities that speak to people the most.

Why should the Latvian audience vote for your song to represent Latvia at Eurovision 2016?
Edvards: I cannot say to the audience what they should or shouldn’t do. I am gonna try to do my best and hope they will appreciate the performance.

Do you have a message for “Join Us on Eurovision” readers and your fans?
Edvards: Be forgiveful and You will see, that it gets easier to breathe. And big love to all of my fans!

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in the Latvian national selection and maybe we see us in Stockholm!


Support Edvards Grieze and his music. Listen to his latest release "Crashing Down" with Rodion Gordin on Spotify:


For other possibilities check the stores in your country.

Find out more about Edvards Grieze and follow him: 



No comments:

Post a Comment