Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Norway: Exclusive! Interview with Laila Samuels "Be good and keep the Eurovision spirit up"

Laila Samuels is one of the contestants for the Norwegian national selection "Melodi Grand Prix 2016" with her song "Afterglow". She will perform in the national final of "Melodi Grand Prix 2016" on 27th February 2016 in Oslo.

We talked to Laila Samuels some days ago about her participation in the Norwegian national selection "Melodi Grand Prix 2016". Read our interview with her below to find out what she had to say...


Hello Laila, how does it feel to be part of the Norwegian national selection “Melodi Grand Prix 2016” with your song “Afterglow”?
Laila: Hello :) I am super excited about the Grand Prix Finale- and no matter what happens there - this whole experience has been so amazing for me. I never knew that there were so many devoted Eurovision fans out there. It feels like discovering a whole new planet with crazy and amazingly sweet people ! 

Who had the idea that you could participate in the Norwegian national selection and who decided “Afterglow”?
Laila: Well - It was my idea, I just  felt like it was the right time and right song for it. So i sent "Aftreglow" to the comitee in Oslo. And waited patiently for their response. I mean...the last 10 years they would always ask me if I had songs for it, and I have had 5 songs before in the finals, but I never wanted to perform them so, just I have only as a writer. 

What is the message of "Afterglow"?
Laila: "Afterglow" is about Losing something ....or someone, and the intense wish to get it back.. It has a special meaning for me- but maybe not what people think. After writing it - I discovered that it kind of has a fighting spirit. Ifeel that it makes me stronger in a way when i perform it. But it is definately written as a prayer for better times. 

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career? 
Laila: My carreer as a songwriter and as an artist kind of started at the same time.. I was always singing and always writing from when I knew how to write. I wrote books and fairytales and songs before I started school. But my professional career started when I got signed with my band the tuesdays in 1998. In New York, that was pretty epic for a Norwegian debutant. Crazy fun times :-)

These moments you are living in Germany. What was the reason to leave Norway? 
Laila: It just kind of happened. I didnt plan it..I was gonna go to Berlin for 1 week. and I just ended up staying 3 months in different hotels... but when I decided to stay it was because I had so many more options all of a sudden. Oslo is cool. but artists dont go there to write their albums. They go to Berlin though. From all over the world. Since I moved there I've written for artists from England, America , Australia, Germany, Denmark and even Romania. And I kept all my Norwegian artist colleagues... so it was a good desicion. 

Have you also thought about to submit your song for the German pre-selection? 
Laila: No I actually wrote the song that took Ann Sophie to the German finals last year. But then they swopped her song in the top 2 -so she went to the Eurovision finals with another song. After a dramatic German .. it was all very Weird. 
You have written some songs for Lena, who has won the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 in Oslo with “Satellite”. Did she gave you any advices for your participation? 
Laila: No- haha... maybe I should! - But ...I think I will be ok. I do what I do. And I will give the best show I can this weekend. After that - the music lives on ! 

What are you expecting in the national selection “Melodi Grand Prix 2016”, are you excited?
Laila: I am expecting a fantastic show. There are alot of good acts-so the people will love it I'm sure! :) ..and I am super ecxcited to play for all the people there Everyone watching at home or online! 

How do you prepare yourself for the show? 
Laila: Well...besides working out alot ... I am just focusing on staying calm. And enjoying this amazing adventure. 

Are you a Eurovision fan? 
Laila: Totally ! I love it - and always watched it with my whole family growing up. 

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Norwegian history?
Laila: Johnny Logan is the King... he was great. And Abba of course. But Norway also has a writer that won the whole thing 2 times- and one of them is nocturne-which i think is a very beautiful song! Very un-eurovision-like. And it was crazy that it won in a way. But it goes to show that you can never predict anything. 

What is your first Eurovision memory?
Laila: I think it was when Johnny Logan won the first time- or maybe when Sandra Kim sang "J'aime la vie" or smt like that. She was just a few years older than me... and super young. I was totally impressed by her.

What are your plans for 2016 beside the Norwegian national selection, are you working on a album?
Laila: I am working on my album - half of the songs are kind of a best of-from my 4,5 years in berlin. And half is songs we wrote this year..i have worked with the same production team since i came here - the beatgees - they are great. So- I'm guessing my album will come out in June the latest ! And I hope you will like it! Till then - you can check out other releases my website ww.lailasamuels.com if you want ! It's all there :) Be good and keep the Eurovision spirit up !

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in the Norwegian national selection and maybe we see us in Stockholm! 

Support Laila Samuels and her music. Download her "MGP 2016" entry "Afterglow" on iTunes or listen to it on Spotify:


Find out more about Laila Samuels and follow her:

No comments:

Post a Comment