Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Latvia: Exclusive! Interview with Katrīna Cīrule "Laugh a lot - it will lead you to the meaning of life"


Katrīna Cīrule is one of the Semi-Finalists for the national selection 'Supernova 2015' in Latvia with her song called 'Bass'. She will perform in one of the Semi-Finals.




We had the chance to talk to Katrīna Cīrule about her participation in the Latvian national selection. Read our interview with her below to find out what she had to say...


Hello Katrīna, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the National Selection ‘Supernova 2015’ with your song ‘Bass’. 

How does it feel to be part of ‘Supernova 2015’? 
Katrīna: It feels great! It is a huge responsibility as well. I have to do my best, show my best and sound my best. And will do this with all of my heart.

Who had the idea that you could participate with ‘Bass’? 
Katrīna: I had the idea to participate with 'Bass', because it is my song in a collaboration with a composer and producer Jānis Ķirsis. I think it has a great beat, vibe and it gives the right mood.

Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Bass’?
Katrīna: 'Bass' is a feeling that we get from the person we admire, love and feel passionate about. 'Bass' is a vibration that resonates inside me when I am near the person I like so much. And that’s why I say - I love it, I love it! 

Can you tell us something about the beginning career? 
Katrīna: I started as a soloist in 2007, when performing soulful house in a collaboration with great Latvian DJ’s. But the basic I have vocally and spiritually comes from the genre called Gospel music. I have been one of the lead vocalists in Riga Gospel Choir since I was 15. And still it gives the best practice, joy and fulfillment to sing a genre that goes so much deeper than just nice melodies or fun beats. It is my function – to be thankful for the life I live and to live it to the max. Gospel music really gives the freedom to be joyful. Performing gospel music is truly my passion, yes.

Do you think it’s an advantage for you to be a part of a gospel choir since so many years? 
Katrīna: Definitely. In this genre I feel like a fish in the sea. I feel a total freedom and light when I sing gospel. I feel that the level of professionalism goes deeper as more years pass by. So I will keep doing what I love and I wish all of you to find something you are passionate about and do it with all your heart!

What are you expecting in the Latvian national selection ‘Supernova 2015’, are you excited?
Katrīna: I am expecting to have a great experience, great emotions, adrenaline and joy. I am super excited and can’t wait to perform!

Are you a Eurovision fan? 
Katrīna: Couldn’t say I’m a fan. I would rather say I am interested in what is happening in the area of European music and what is trending.

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite song in Latvian ESC history?
Katrīna: I remember InCulto, the Lithuanion guys, who performed in 2010. I liked them a lot. But my favorite Eurovision song of all time would probably be The Common Lines – 'Calm After The Storm'.



Which kind of music do you hear in private?
Katrīna: Soul, pop, house. I love Disclosure. Truly love. They are unique.

What makes you happy?
Katrīna: Music, love and laughter.

What makes a day for you perfect?
Katrīna: A day is perfect when I have been laughing a lot, singing a lot, loving a lot and have felt peace within.

What are your plans for 2015 beside ‘Supernova’?
Katrīna: I am working on my own songs, working on different projects. I would like to keep them in secret for a while :-)

What was the most excited moment in your life? 
Katrīna: It is impossible to say just one thing. I’d say I have felt really excited when I performed 'What for?' together with Latvian finalist Aisha in Eurovion 2010, in Oslo, Norway as a backvocalist. That was a great experience and unforgettable feeling to be a part of such a huge event.


What are your plans for the future? 
Katrīna: To explore more in my own potencial, to share it with the world and to give joy to others.

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans? 
Katrīna: Live your life to the fullest and laugh. Laugh a lot. It will lead you to the meaning of life.

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in ‘Supernova 2015’ and maybe we see us in Vienna!


Find out more about Katrīna Cīrule and follow her: 



No comments:

Post a Comment