Saturday, February 22, 2014

IRELAND: Exclusive! Interview with Andrew Mann 'Music for me is joy, freedom, connection and love'

Andrew Mann is one of the five finalists for 'Eurosong 2014' in Ireland with his song called 'Be Mine'. The winning act will be selected on Eurosong 2014 on 'The Late Late Show' on Friday the 28th of February. As was the case in previous years, Ireland’s Eurovision entry will be selected by a combination of public and jury vote.

Listen to the song from Andrew here:

We had the chance to talk to Andrew about his participation in the Irish competition. Read our interview with him to find out what he had to say...



Hello Andrew, first of all gratulations that you are one of the participants for the national selection ‘Eurosong 2014’ in Ireland. 

How does it feel to be one of the finalists with your song ‘Be Mine’? 
Andrew: It feels absolutely amazing!!! I was so honored and humbled to be asked to sing this incredible song “Be Mine” in the Irish Eurosong competition this year. I found out last December so it was the best Christmas present ever. I would love more then anything to represent Ireland in Copenhagen this year so please, everyone, send me all your good luck.

Who had the idea that you could take part in ‘Eurosong 2014’? 
Andrew: Cormac Battle, my mentor, heard about me through a friend called Paul Walsh who is the lead singer of the Irish band Royseven. Cormac then did his research and looked at all my clips on youtube, from video I have made for my songs to my appearances on The Voice Of Ireland and also my performance on Eurosong two years ago. Cormac then phoned me, sent me the song and I accepted immediately.

Who decided ‘Be Mine’ for ‘Eurosong 2014’?
Andrew:Cormac is not only my mentor but he also wrote the song I’ll be performing. He was in two famous bands one called Kerbdog and the other called Wilt. They were both rock bands and had hit songs here in Ireland, the UK and America. When he was picked by RTE to be a mentor he figured “Be Mine” would be a great song to do and I agree. I love rock music. To me its the way music should sound. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love the song. Its a passionate, honest, anthemic song and I love singing it. 


Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Be Mine’?
Andrew: Cormac told me he wrote the song after his wife lost a child during pregnancy. He said it was a very hard time for him and writing the song helped him cope with the loss. Its a song about picking yourself up and moving on with life like a phoenix from the flames. Life will always throw difficult situations at us but the main thing is to keep on going a know that everything is going to be okay. Its a very positive song in that regard. The lyrics say “No, I am not afraid, I’m not afraid of this life. Could you, could you be mine? Its something I can relate to on a very deep level.

Have you heared the other four songs for ‘Eurosong 2014’? If yes, what do you think of the other participants? 
Andrew: I have heard the other four songs and they are very very good. The competition is very tough this year…. but I still know we have the best song by a long way. 

Is it true that you already was one of the participants for ‘Eurosong’ in 2012 with a song called ‘Here I Am’? Can you tell us something about what happened in that year? 
Andrew: I was in Eurosong in 2012 and came a close second to Jedward. I knew it was going to be almost impossible to beat Jedward because they were such an established act at the time with a huge fan base but the experience was brilliant. It was my first time performing on live television so I was a little nervous but I am still very proud of my performance and proud of the song. One million people watch the show here in Ireland and I love performing on live television so I literally can’t wait for the 28th of February when I get to do it again. 

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your music career? 
Andrew: When I was twelve my older sister moved out of the family home and left behind her guitar and a book on how to teach yourself to play. I tough myself to play and literally from that day onwards I would play for 3 or 4 hours everyday. I was obsessed!!! I still play that much everyday. I started writing my own songs at age 14 and started doing shows when I was in college. I actually put myself through college with the money I earned. 

In 2013 you were one of the participants in the irish edition of ‘The Voice’? Can you tell us something about that experiences?
Andrew: My experience of The Voice was mixed. I really enjoyed performing and I enjoyed the musical side of it, but i hate asking people to vote for me and you can’t win the show unless you have a massive PR machine behind you. I am a musician, not a politician. I would like to have won and people still walk up to me on the street everyday telling me I should have won. It was a strange experience to be honest. 

What are you expecting in the final of ‘Eurosong 2014’? 
Andrew: I am expecting it to be close but I am fully expecting to win and perform in Copenhagen in May.

How will your stage performance be? 
Andrew: I am going to sing my heart out and be the absolute best I can be. I want to blow all the other performers off the stage. Its just going to be a very passionate honest performance. 

Are you a Eurovision fan? 
Andrew: As a child and teenager I was a massive fan but if I’m honest I’ve lost touch with it over the last ten years. I am extremely proud Ireland have won Eurovision more then any other country. I hope I can do it again.  

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs?
Andrew: I quite liked Brainstorm of 2000 with My Star. The lead singer reminded me of David Bowie.  




There are any artists with whom you would like to work?
Andrew: I already work with musicians who blow my mind. I very lucky to be surrounded by the best Ireland has to offer. 

Which kind of music do you hear in private?
Andrew: The best way to answer that question is to tell you my top five favorite albums of all time.
  1. Actung Baby - U2
  2. Blood Sugar Sex Magic - Red Hot Chili Peppers
  3. For Emma, Forever Ago - Bon Iver
  4. Closing Time - Tom Waits
  5. Only By The Night - Kings Of Leon

Can you tell us something about Andrew in private?
Andrew: I am a real mixture of an introvert and an extrovert. I love going out and socializing and having fun. But I also love staying at home, being very quiet and watching endless movies in a row. When I rarely have a few days off I’ll stay home and not even go out. I’m on the road a lot performing so I think i get a good balance. 

What makes you happy?
Andrew: To me happiness is about getting the right balance in life. Spending time with my little boy, spending time with my girlfriend, writing, recording and performing music, getting enough sleep. I always happiest when I get the balance right.  

What makes a day for you perfect?
Andrew: Making great music, hanging out with good friends, eating amazing food and drinking lots of beer. 

What are your plans in music for 2014 beside Eurovison?
Andrew: For the last 18 months I have been recording my second album and at the moment I am putting the finishing touches to it. Even if I win, lose or draw Eurosong I will still be releasing the album this summer. I was working on it before “The Voice of Ireland” and before “Eurosong” so it has always been my plan A. I am excited out of my about the songs and can’t wait to share them with everybody.

What was the most excited moment in your life? 
Andrew: There are SO MANY its way to hard to chose!!! But here are a few, my little boy being born, hearing “The Joshua Tree” by U2 for the first time, seeing Paul McCartney perform in Dublin, all four coaches turning for me in “The Voice”, recording my first song in studio, my first aeroplane flight and everytime I get up on stage to perform. 

What are your wishes for the future? 
Andrew: I wish to make music for the rest of my life. I would like success but I don’t need to be a millionaire. I’ve never made music for money, I make it because I’m deeply in love with it. Right now I’m the happiest and the most peaceful I’ve ever been and a lot of that has to do with being a full time professional musician performing 6 nights a week every week. I hope this feeling of contentment in my heart continues forever. 

Why should the audience from Ireland vote for you to represent Ireland at Eurovion 2014? 
Andrew: Last year a guy called Ryan Dolan represented Ireland in Eurovision. I thought he had an amazing pop song, perfect for Eurovision. He looked great and sang brilliantly and I felt Ireland was going to do very well but…. we came last. I think my song could win Eurovision because it is so different from everything else in the competition. Its a massive anthemic unapologetic rock song and its what Eurovision needs. There is so much pop music in the Eurovision that everything can sound the same. Rock music is what Ireland does best. U2 are still the biggest band in the world and they come from this tiny Island on the corner of Europe It makes me very proud. They are my inspiration. I want to follow in their footsteps and I want to bring some coolness and rock to Eurovision!!!! 

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans? 
Andrew: I just hope I can bring your readers joy and happiness when I perform for them. Music for me is joy, freedom, connection and love. Its in my blood and every beat of my heart. I would love very much to perform in Lativa sometime soon. Wishing you all peace and love in yor lives

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in ‘Eurosong 2014’ and maybe we see us in Copenhagen! 

Find out more about Andrew and follow him:

No comments:

Post a Comment