Friday, February 28, 2014

ESTONIA: Exclusive! Interview with Tanja "Enjoy every day of your life and be AMAZING"


Tanja (Tanja Mihhailova) is one of the finalists for 'Eesti Laul 2014' in Estonia with her song called 'Amazing'. The winning act will be selected in the competition 'Eesti Laul 2014' in Estonia. The winning act will be selected on 'Eesti Laul 2014' in the National Final on 1st of March. Tanjas starts on #9.

Watch the performance from Tanja (Semi-Final):


We had the chance to talk to Tanja about her participation in the Estonian competition. Read our interview with her to find out what she had to say...


Hello Tanja, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the National Final ‘Eesti Laul 2014’ on 1st of March.

How does it feel to be one of the Finalists with the song ‘Amazing’?
Tanja: It's an Amazing feeling :)

Who had the idea that you could take part in ‘Amazing’?
Tanja: Well, it's my and Timo Vendt's song and it was an easy task to find a singer for it :)

Who decided ‘Amazing’ for ‘Eesti Laul 2014’?
Tanja: We wanted to compete in Eesti laul for some time now and this year we decided to write a song especially for Eurovision, so we did and we were chosen among other 19 songs to participate in this year  Eesti laul.

Why it was chosen to sing in English and not in Estonian language?
Tanja: Because more people can understand the meaning of the song and what i am singing about and of course they can sing along. In Estonia  i usually sing in english, my last album "Gemini" was in english as well.

Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Amazing’?
Tanja:  Me and Timo decided to write a song especially for Eurovision. I've been singing dance/pop music for almost 7 years now, so of course it had to be the same style I love. When production and melody were almost done, i started to feel and understand what song is about and wrote lyrics. I have a special connection with my dreams. When I wake up in the middle of the night and in the middle of a  dream, I usually want to see how it ends or want to fly a little more, so I go back to sleep and continue to enjoy my dream. And even though I know it's not real, I still want to feel/see/do everything and anything I can possible feel/see/do in it. It's an amazing lie and sometimes i just want to enjoy an amazing lie just for a little bit more.

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Tanja: I've been singing and dancing for as long as I can remember. When I was 4 my mom took me to the dance studio where i danced for 13 years, when my dance teacher heard me humming  as I danced, she told my mother that I should go to the music studio as well and so I did :) I wanted to perform a LOT, I did everything I could to sing anywhere I could, I performed in a lot of song competitions and one time I was noticed by my first manager. Now I  have 6 albums (last one is called "Gemini" 2012), i've done a lot of musicals: "Fame", "Hair",  "Chicago", "Kiss of the spiderwoman", "Fantom", "Snow wite", "Abba-Thank you for the music" etc. At the moment I play Sally Bowles in "Cabaret" (theatre Vanemuine), Lucy in "The last cowboy" (theatre Endla) and sing in "Thriller-Tribute to Michael Jackson" (theatre Vanemuine). I've done a lot of tv projects (last one was "Your face sounds familiar", that was a lot of fun :) ). I've been choreographer for Estonian idol and Singing with the stars.
What are you expecting in the National Final ‘Eesti Laul 2014’ on 1st of March, are you excited?
Tanja: I'm very exited and can't wait to perform on a big stage.

Are you a Eurovision fan?
Tanja: Yes I am a Eurovision fan, I've seen every ESC  from the age of 7, so 23 years of Eurovision :)

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Estonian participants?
Tanja: My all-time favourite is "Nocturne" by Secret Garden but of course I adore Loreen and I love Margaret Berger and there are many songs I really like and sing all the time (like Gina G or Helena Paparizou etc). My all-time favourite estonian entry is Evelin Samuel "Diamonds of night".



There are any artists with whom you would like to work?
Tanja: Well …. I would love to meet Loreen, she's an incredible singer and magical performer. I would love to meet Madonna, because she's the reason I love to dance while I'm singing. (I saw her "The girlie show" on VHS when I was 10 and I knew I want to be a performer rather than just a singer). I hardly ever stand still while performing. People in Estonia know me as  "singing dancer" or "dancing singer" :) I adore Beyonce and Pink for always singing live while performing, I know how much work is it because I always! sing live as well.

Which kind of music do you hear in private?
Tanja: I listen to almost everything and i mean everything. I don't like rap or heavy metal … other than that … yes everything.

Can you tell us something about Tanja in private?
Tanja: Tanja is a gemini, so she can be very romantic and quiet, sitting at home, enjoying glass of wine and listening to Sade or VERY energetic and dancing-on-the-tables crazy :) She is very funny and have a great sense of humour. She can cook pretty much everything and enjoy spending a lot of time in the kitchen. She loves to dance and feel a little sad, that she had to quit teaching contemporary dance in WAF dancing school due to commitment to other projects. She is happy that she can dance contemporary routine with her dance partner Argo while performing Amazing in Eesti Laul :)

What makes you happy?
Tanja: My life. A chance to do what I like the most … performing. My friends, my family and good food :)

What are your plans for 2014 beside ‘Eesti Laul’?
Tanja: Last year I had 176 concerts in total, so this year I decided to slow down a little bit :) So after Eesti Laul I will travel to USA and have a nice, long holiday :) But after my holiday there are 3 musicals awaiting for me, a lot of solo concerts and we have a big TV project coming out in September :)

What are your wishes for the future?
Tanja: I hope I will continue doing what I'm doing now.

Why should the audience from Estonia vote for your song to represent Estonia at Eurovision 2014?
Tanja: I love to perform and I'm very good at it :) Plus I would love to represent Estonia, it would be such an honour.

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans?
Tanja: I hope you got to know me a little better. Enjoy every day of your life and be Amazing :)

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in ‘Eesti Laul 2014’ and maybe we see us in Copenhagen!


Find out more about Tanja and follow her:


No comments:

Post a Comment