Saturday, January 7, 2017

Finland: Exclusive! Interview with Emma "Inside the circle you are always safe"

Emma is one of the finalists for "UMK 2017" with her song "Circle Of Light". She will participate in the Finnish national final of "UMK 2017" on 28th January 2017.

We talked to Emma some days ago about her participation in the Finnish national selection "UMK 2017". Read our interview with her below to find out what she had to say...
Hello Emma, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the Finnish national selection “UMK 2017”.

How does it feel to be part of national selection with the song "Circle Of Light"?
Emma: Thank you so much for you congratulations! I am really happy to be here! :-)
It feels like my dreams are finally coming true, and I'm enjoying every moment of it. I'm truly lucky to be here, and I will do my very best in the UMK!
Who had the idea that you could participate in the Finnish national selection and who decided "Circle Of Light"?
Emma: I called Heidi Maria Paalanen who is one of the songwriters last spring and said "I would like to participate in the Eurovision, how could I get there? And do you know anyone who would like to work with me?" And she then replied happily that she wanted to write a song for me togheter with Saara Törmä, Aku Rannila and Jonas Olsson, and that's how "Circle Of Light" was born.
What is the message of "Circle Of Light"?
Emma: The song is called "Circle Of Light", and it's a song about where you try to visualise an empowering circle around yourself where nothing bad can get inside. No matter what kinds of fears, sorrows or bad energy it can't get trough because you are strong enough to survive all those feelings or situations that everyone feels or goes trough sometimes in their life. Inside the circle you are always safe. 
I myself usually close my eyes, take a deep breath and actually visualise a circle around me. No one, no matter what gets trough, and I only grow stronger inside. This superpower as I like to call it, can be found in each and everyone of us.
Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Emma: I have always been on stages, singing or dancing ever since I was a little girl. I've been in various musicals, choirs and solo-projects. I participated in The Voice of Finland last season and from there everything started for real. Before that I just had small gigs here and there, and worked as an vocal teacher.
What are you expecting in the national selection“UMK 2017”, are you excited?
Emma: I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself, haha! I work really hard everyday with both choreography and vocal exercises. Me and my team are working very hard for this because we want to represent Finland this year in Ukraine!
I'm hoping my audience will support me and help me get one step closer to my dream of representing Finland in the Eurovision.
How do you prepare yourself for the show?
Emma: I practise everyday vocally and also with technical things such as where to look at which camera and how I will walk where and so on. You get to see all that on the 28.1! I workout aswell so I will stay healthy for the show. I try to surround myself with people I love and who gives me energy so I will stay calm and positive for the finals. And I get so much energy from all the people out there who already supports me with so much love and kind words. It means the world to me.
Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what are your all time favorites from Finnish entries?
Emma: I think I have to say Måns Zelmerlöw - "Heroes" He sings about that we are all heroes, and I sing about superpowers of creating "Circles Of Lights"!
From Finland I really like Krista Siegfrieds. She's such an inspiring artist who goes her own way and is always glad and joyful.
What is your first Eurovision memory?
Emma: My earliest memory is when Nina Åström from my hometown Kokkola in Finland also participated in the Eurovision. I thought it was so cool that someone from my hometown was on that big stage in Europe. I might have been 9 years old or something.
Which kind of music do you like personally?
Emma: I really enjoy Blues and Jazz music. Also combined with Folk and Pop. Actually I love all kinds of music, Soul, RnB, Funk, Rock - you name it. But mostly Blues!
Who is Emma as private persons?
Emma: Emma as a private person is quite shy and extremely humble. I've been working as a music teacher for many years now, and I caught myself mostly trying to lift all my students up, and especially help those who have some kind of trouble going on. It gives me so much more when I can help someone.
Something personal and maybe a bit crazy is that I absolutley love Christmas so much its beyond crazy... I sing carols already in summertime, and I start decorating my home in September or tha latest in October. 
I also like to make people laugh. And I'm also very stubborn, haha!
What are your plans for 2017 besides UMK, are you working on a album?
Emma: Yes, we have plans to give out more music. Right now our prior focus is the UMK and after that we will give out more singles and eventually turn it into an album.
What was the most excited moment in your life?
Emma: Career wise I think it was when I was chosen to be one of the 10 finalist in the UMK. Personally I think it was when I overcome my own fears of not believing in myself and stop listening to people who only wanted me harm. I used to be bullied when I was younger, and it did set many scars in me. But now I'm much more stronger and braver and I'm proud of that.
What are your wishes for the future?
Emma: I really dream of getting the chance to represent Finland in the Eurovision, and also it would be a lifelong dream to take home Finlands second win and make them proud of me. I also want to give out more music and make this as a living for me now.
If people outside Finland never heared about you before–what should they know about you?
Emma: I'm a hardworking artist who enjoys every moment I get. I've been trying to make it for so many years and finally I'm here where I am today, and it's because of not giving up.
I want to give out more music and tour around Europe and give back all the love I have received from all of you!
Why should the Finnish audience vote for your song to represent Finland at Eurovision 2017?
Emma: Because I really do have a strong feeling about this. I have had it from the very start. This is not only a dream for me to enter the Eurovison stage, but also a dream to get as far in the competition and Finland on top again. I hope I'll get a chance.
Do you have a message for “Join Us on Eurovision”readers and your fans?
Emma: Thank you so much for your supports! It means the world to me and you have no idea of how much energy you bring! I have read all the comments and it brings the widest smile to my face everytime. Thank you a million! :-) You guys are my Rakas!
Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in UMK 2017 and maybe we see us in Kyiv!

Support Emma and her music. Download her "UMK 2017" entry "Circle Of Light" on iTunes or listen to it on Spotify:

For other possibilities check the stores in your country.

Find out more about Emma and follow her: 

No comments:

Post a Comment