Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Norway: Exclusive! Interview with Agnete "Spread your love, it´s important!"

Agnete won the Norwegian national final of "Melodi Grand Prix" on 27th February 2016. She will represent Norway at the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 with the song "Icebreaker".

We talked to Agnete some days ago about her participation in Eurovision 2016. Read our interview with her below to find out what she had to say..

Agnete (© Frank Rune Isaksen)
Hello Agnete , first of all congratulations for winning the national final of “Melodi Grand Prix” in Norway. 

How does it feel to be chosen representing Norway at the Eurovision Song Contest 2016?
Agnete: I have been following ESC for many years, I always had this dream of competing in the show. For me, it is an true honor and a career highlight that I this year will be representing Norway in the Eurovision Song Contest. I am very grateful for this opportunity, and will cherish every moment of it.
Who had the idea that you could participate in “Melodi Grand Prix” and who decided "Icebreaker"?
Agnete: After winning Strictly Come Dancing in 2014, I told my management that the next thing I wanted to do was participate in MGP. It took around 10 months finding the right songwriting team to produce the track that was right for me. The decision was mine with the songwriters Ian Curnow and Gabriel Alares.
What is the message of "Icebreaker"
Agnete: The song is about being there for someone who is struggling. We wrote the lyrics to "Icebreaker" with my best friend in mind, so there is a 14 year old story behind the song. To me, "Icebreaker" is one of the most honest and most personal thing I´ve ever written, dedicated to my friend and our long lasting friendship. It was written at a time in my friends life when she needed my support. 
Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career? 
Agnete: I´ve been singing my whole life, the first time I performed on stage I was 5. Started The BlackSheeps with some friends in 2006, in 2008, at the age of 14, we won MGP Jr (kinda like Eurovision Jr) with the first song we wrote «Oro Jaska Beana». Later we won the Nordic final i MGP Jr, and the same year we received a Spellemannspris (norwegian grammy) for «hit of the year 2008», also with the same song. In 2011, The BlackSheeps got the second place in MGP. Won «Dancing With Stars» in 2014, after that I worked in a Hålogoland Theater with Wizad of Oz, I had the leading role as Dorothy Gale.
What are you expecting in Eurovision 2016?
Agnete: I´m expecting a lot of great artist and singers and a whole lot of fantastic Eurovision fans. It´s going to be a experience of a life time!
Are you planning to make some changes on your performance or outfit? 
Agnete: We are doing some minor/major changes, you´ll have to wait until the 12th of May to see what we´ve done ;-)
What happened with you in the last days after your victory? 
Agnete: Did a lot of interviews before I travelled back home to relax with my family. Still can´t believe I won!
What kind of promotion plans do you have for “Icebreaker, will you join some of the Eurovision Pre-Parties (Amsterdam, Riga, London…)? 
Agnete: Confirmed plans now are Amsterdam, London and Tel-Aviv. We are working on confirming a few others visits.
Are you a Eurovision fan? 
Agnete: I´ve been watching ESC as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl I used to imagine being on the stage singing in front of everyone. Now, my dream has come true, finally I will represent Norway in the ESC, it is a true honor that I will cherish every moment of. I´m gonna do my best, sing from my heart and hopefully, make the people that voted for me proud So yes, I am absolutely a Eurovision fan, and a proud one!

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite your home country?
Agnete: 
  • Sertab Erener - "Everyway That I Can" from Turkey in 2003
  • Alexander Rybak - "Fairytale 2009" from Norway 2009
What is your first Eurovision memory?
Agnete: My first memory was when Turkey won the ESC with Sertab Erener -"Everyway That I Can"  in 2003
What are your plans for 2016 besides Eurovision 2016, are you working on a album?
Agnete: I am working on several singles that will be released through the year. Also I will be doing some gigs during the summer. 
What was the most excited moment in your life? 
Agnete: Winning the NorwegianNational Selection! I´m still excited! :-)
What are your wishes for the future? 
Agnete: To live a happy and healthy life and pursuing new dreams in music. 

If people outside Norway never heared about you before – what should they know about you?
Agnete: I am born and raised on the top of Norway, close to the Barents Sea and Arctic Ocean, in a village called Nesseby; population 900.

- My mother language is the Sámi language.

- The first song I ever wrote - co-wrote to be correct - did win the MGP Jr Nordic (like ESC for kids) and a Norwegian grammy for «song of the year».  
What makes “Icebreaker” different to the other contestants and why should Europe vote for you? 
Agnete: The transition between the verse and chorus definitely stands out, we took a chance doing that choice of production, for sure. This was a production choice to make the chorus stand out and make the lyrics shine more, because of it´s importance!. I think Europe should vote on the artist that they care for, follow your heart and support the ones you like. Spread your love, it´s important!
Do you have a message for “Join Us on Eurovision” readers and your fans? 
Agnete: I am most grateful to be a part of the crazy, wonderful and lovable world of yours! Hope you like the song and my performing in Stockholm. Thanks for reading, lots of love :-)
Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for “Icebreaker” and  see you soon in Stockholm!


Support Agnethe and her music. Download her Eurovision entry "Icebreaker" on iTunes or listen to it on Spotify:

For other possibilities check the stores in your country.

Agnete is honored to represent Norway at the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 in Stockholm. She will participate in the second half of the second Semi-Final on 12th May 2016 in Sweden.


Find out more about Agnethe and follow her:

No comments:

Post a Comment