Friday, February 6, 2015

Latvia: Exclusive! Interview with Markus Riva "I feel like a warrior who wants all or nothing"


Markus Riva is one of the Semi-Finalists for the national selection 'Supernova 2015' in Latvia with their song called 'Take Me Down'. He will perform in Pre-Round 2 on 8th of February 2015.




We had the chance to talk to Markus Riva about his participation in the Latvian national selection. Read our interview with him below to find out what he had to say...


Hello Markus, first of all gratulations that you are again one of the qualified participants for the National Selection ‘Supernova 2015’ with your song ‘Take Me Down’. 

How does it feel to be part of ‘Supernova 2015’? 
Markus: Thank you! It still feels fresh and exciting. This is like an unknown project that you are excited to do. So I am looking forward to be a part of it.

What should people know about you if they never heard about you before? Could you introduce yourself a bit?
Markus: I am pop artist from Latvia, who writes, produces and sings his own stuff in the style of pop. I am also a DJ who plays every weekend and I do bunch of other interesting things that all could be under the stamp named art. 

Who had the idea that you could participate with ‘Take Me Down’? 
Markus: It was my idea. I took part in prime time TV show “Want to Meladze” and I made it to the final. That was a great experience and I thought I should move forward with Eurovision. I wrote a song and decided to submit it for the national selection. My team is very supportive and we have many ideas how to represent this song and our country for the big show.

Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Take Me Down’?
Markus: The song in my opinion is quite dark but with light meaning. It is something I have never done before – slow, powerful ballad – in my career you won’t find a song like this. But I think it is a big step forward and the song can live itself. People have showed their support  - the song has already been on iTunes charts not only in Latvia, but also in Belorussia and Russia. 

You already participated in last years national selection ‘Dziesma’ with the song ‘Lights On’ – what was your motivation to participate this year again? 
Markus: Last year was the first year for me as a solo artist. Before that I did some songs but as an author. Last year was ok, but I think I could do more and better. I think over the last year I have grown as an artist and my experience is much bigger than it has ever been. I want to share my story with “Take Me Down”. 
Do you think it’s an advantage that you participated already last year?
Markus: I take it as a good experience but not as an advantage. People saw me and supported me last year and I hope they are going to do it even more this time. And I still love “Lights On”!


Is there something what has changed in your life after your participation in ‘Dziesma’?
Markus: I wouldn’t say so. Life changes as it changes. It is always challenging to involve you in new projects and that’s what keeps us moving and even growing – stepping out of your comfort zone. 

What are you expecting in the Latvian national selection ‘Supernova 2015’, are you excited?
Markus: I am very excited and cannot wait for Sunday night! 

How important is it for you to represent Latvia at the Eurovision Song Contest? 
Markus: It is like 10 out of 10. It means the world to me. I feel like a warrior who wants all or nothing. But, yes, I am against aggression and war (smiling). 

Can you tell us something about your stage concept?
Markus: It is going to be quite simple for the first show. I am going to share my emotional side and story of “Take Me Down” with vocal performance. And we are going to premiere music video for the song as well, so watch out for the first preview already this Sunday. Very famous Ukrainian director Alan Badoev who has filmed music videos for Kazaky, Vera Brezneva, Filip Kirkorov, Tina Karol, Loboda and many more makes music videos is the director of “Take Me Down”. 

What are your plans for 2015 beside ‘Supernova’?
Markus: After participating in TV show “Want to Meladze” I am starting to work more for Russian spoken audiences – Russia, Ukraine, Belorussia, Kazakhstan… But not only! I am releasing a lot of new music this year so stay tuned.

What kind of music do you listen?
Markus: Currently I am listening Sam Smith, but I like all genres of music. I would go for a classic in next few minutes and then switch to some house.

Why should the audience from Latvia vote for your song to represent Latvia at Eurovision 2015? 
Markus: If I touch their souls with my story and my song ”Take Me Down”. I have never opened my soul like this before. And I believe in positive power that we can all share in Vienna.

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans? 
Markus: I am very blessed to have my fans and supporters. It keeps me moving, it keep me growing! So keep this positive note inside you and I will keep mine. Thank you for always being with me in this very exciting journey! 

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in ‘Supernova 2015’ and maybe we see us in Vienna! 


Find out more about Markus Riva and follow him:

No comments:

Post a Comment