Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Malta: Exclusive! Interview with Amber "It was thrilling to be at the Eurovision final 2012 and I can’t wait to be back on the big stage in Vienna in May"


Amber won the national final 'Malta Eurovision Song Contest (MESC) in Malta on 22nd of November 2014 with her song 'Warrior'. She will represent Malta this year in Vienna in the second Semi-Final on 21st of May in the first half.

Amber - 'Warrior' (MESC Final)



We had the chance to talk to Amber some days ago. Read our interview below to find out what she had to say...


Hello Amber, first of all congratulations for your victory in the ‘MESC 2014 / 2015’ with your song ‘Warrior’.

What does it mean for you representing your country on Eurovision 2014?
Amber: It means a great deal to me. I have competed in Malta Eurovision 5 times. It was wonderful to finally win. I shall be very proud to represent Malta in Vienna with my song "Warrior".

Who had the idea that you could represent Malta in Eurovision?
Amber: Having competed 5 times I think the public had got used to me! I’m grateful for them giving me this honour. I was aware there was a lot of support for me in the auditorium and it gave me great confidence when I was singing.  I received top votes from all the Jury and the public. I am very proud to be representing Malta and I hope the Maltese people will have pride in me.

What was your first thought as you realised 'I won! I will represent my country on ESC 2015'? Can you describe me your emotions?
Amber: There were so many emotions but I was overjoyed. It is a dream come true.

Your song is called ‘Warrior’. Can you tell us something about the story behind the song?
Amber: "WARRIORwas written especially for me and allows me to demonstrate my vocal range. It’s an inspirational song. It’s about not letting your problems engulf you. The message is to never give up but find your inner warrior and conquer. I hope people will find it inspirational.

Are you planning to make a promotional video? If yes, can you tell us something about that?
Amber: We are. We should shoot it in the next few weeks. Things are still at the design stage but I hope it will capture the spirit of the song.

You already participated in MESC in 2014 with your song ‘Because I Have You’ – what was your motivation to try it again?
Amber: I am a very competitive person. I don’t give up easily. And I just love singing. :-)

What are you expecting in Vienna?
Amber: A lot of fun. I was at Eurovision in Baku in 2012 (I was a backing singer for Kurt Calleja from Malta) and know how exciting it is. I’m looking forward to meeting the other artists and song writers as well as the Eurovision fans. 

In April 2015 will be in Amsterdam one of the biggest Eurovision promotion event – the 'Eurovision in Concert'. Are you planning to be there to promote your song?
Amber: I know it’s a great event in Amsterdam and I’d love to join the party. But my schedule isn’t finalised yet. I have to fit promotional work in between my University studies.

Are you a Eurovision fan and have you seen last year’s final show and what was your favorite?
Amber: I certainly am. I have been watching Eurovision since I was a little girl. Firelight from Malta gave a brilliant performance at Eurovision 2014 but Conchita Wurst was a worthy winner.

What is your favorite entry from your country?
Amber: it was a great song called "Desire" which Claudette Pace sang back in 2000.

What is your all time favorite song from Eurovision?
Amber: I have a few favourites but if I have to choose only one I’ll say "Euphoria" from Sweden’s Loreen. I was on the same stage when she won in Baku in 2012. 

Could you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Amber: I have been singing from a young age. I took part in a few TV talent shows and have performed in gigs and at weddings. I appeared alongside the world-renowned tenor Joseph Calleja and hung out with Ronan Keating and the boys from Blue.

Can you tell us something about who is Amber in private?
Amber:  I’m studying for a Bachelor of Education in early childhood, and hope to become a primary school teacher.  I like to do voluntary work with underprivileged children. I’ll be doing that again this summer when I return to Tanzania. And I have to confess; I am a complete addict for Facebook. I’m never off it.

What makes a day for you perfect?
Amber: Sharing smiles and laughter with other people.

Have you already checked the other participants from other countries? If yes, what do you think about them?
Amber: It’s early days but I’m looking forward to hearing all the other songs.

Your song is called ‘Warrior’ – but it’s not only your song.. Georgia has chosen Nina Sublatti with the same song title. Are you now in battle with her? What makes your song different to her ‘Warrior’?
Amber: It’s unusual having two songs both with the same name but it doesn’t really matter. I think my "WARRIOR" is a powerful song and I hope it has impact but there will be 39 songs in all. The battle is bigger than 2 songs.

What are your plans in music for 2015 besides Eurovision?
Amber: I would love to record an album and go on tour. If Eurovision made that happen I would be thrilled. 

What was the most exciting moment in your life?
Amber: I have had a few exciting Eurovision moments. Winning Malta Eurovision was one and being at the Eurovision final in 2012 was another. It was thrilling to be at the Eurovision final 2012 and I can’t wait to be back on the big stage in Vienna in May.

What are your wishes for the future?
Amber: I would like to progress in my singing career. That would be wonderful.

Why should European people vote for you?
Amber: I think they should vote for "WARRIOR" because it is such a good song. It has a powerful sound. But I leave it to the people to decide. If they like it I hope they will vote for me.

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans?
Amber: The fans are what make Eurovision so special so I want to say a big thank you to every fan that follows Eurovision. And I told you I’m a Facebook addict so here’s a link for you: www.facebook.com/EurovisionSongMalta :-)

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in Vienna. See you there!



Find out more about Amber and follow her:

No comments:

Post a Comment