Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Moldova: Exclusive! Interview with Kitty Brucknell "There is always something great around the corner, you just never know"


Kitty Brucknell is one of the participants for the first Semi-Final from 'O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015' in Moldova on 24th of February 2015 with the song called "Remix".



We had the chance to talk to Kitty Brucknell some days ago about her participation in the Moldovan competition. Read our interview with her to find out what she had to say...


Hello Kitty, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the National Selection ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015’ on 24th of February 2015.  

How does it feel to be part of ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa’ with the song ‘Remix’? 
Kitty: Ahhhh I’m so excited! It’s the most exciting thing that’s happened to me in a long time. I really don’t want it to end. I want to go all the way to Vienna! 

Who had the idea that you could participate in the Moldovan national selection? 
Kitty: It was a mixture – I really wanted to represent a country that wants to win. And also, I noticed that I had a lot of eastern European fans, so I figured I’d give it a go! As soon as I found out Moldova was accepting international artists, I jumped at the chance. It’s a great opportunity. 

If people never heared about you before – what should they know about you? Could you introduce yourself a bit?
Kitty: Well, my name is Kitty, and I’m a theatrical pop artist from the UK. I’m kinda famous in the UK because I did X Factor a while ago, and I got really far (I came 6th!) Since then I’ve done a lot of tours and festivals and really tried to build up my name not only in the UK but also abroad as well. 

Your birth name is Kimberly Dayle Edwards, what is the concept behind your stage name Kitty Brucknell?
Kitty: Well, there’s a lot of artists called Kimberley. So I liked the name Kitty, and it’s also really easy to brand. Like newspapers will say “Kitty has 9 lives”, or “The Kitty Cat has got the cream”. It’s really easy to remember. Brucknell was made up on the spot when I entered X Factor. I didn’t want them to know my real name because I was worried my family would get hassled. 

This year it seems for you it’s your BIGGEST WISH to be part of the Eurovision Song Contest. You submitted the song ‘Yearning’ for the Swiss national selection, but it didn’t made it to ‘Die Entscheidungsshow’. Than you submitted two songs for the Moldovan selection. What is your motivation?
Kitty: Never EVER give up. No matter what and what odds you face. There is always something great around the corner, you just never know. 

You had two songs in the competition – first one was ‘Yearning’ and the second one – who made it to the Semi-Final – is ‘Remix’. Are you happy with this result?
Kitty: Yeah! I’m actually really buzzing about it now, because we’ve done a special “Eurovision” version which is exactly 3mins, and it’s got this epic adlib high note, and a whole bunch of great things. It’s FAT now. Huge bass and thumping track and it’s pretty mega. I’m so excited about it. 

Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Remix’?
Kitty: Well, it’s a song that reminds me never to give up. It’s about believing in yourself and who you are, no matter where you come from. I think it’s the perfect song for Eurovision because I think that message speaks to a lot of people.

What is your concept to bring glamour and glitter to the Moldovan national selection?
Kitty: Ahhhh! You’ll have to wait and see! I only have two backing dancers, because we need three backing vocalists. But it’s going to be NUTS. I’m going to get some awesome costumes together for this. I actually have a meeting with my creative director tomorrow. We are going to do something great. 

You are from the UK and people know you from X-Factor. Can you tell us something more about the beginning of your career? 
Kitty: Ahhh – well, I actually didn’t listen to pop music until I was about 12. Until then I only listened to classical music. I used to get really excited about seeing orchestras! But actually I love classical music, and I’ve definitely used that as an inspiration for a lot of my music, because I love anything anthemic and grand and theatrical. Lots of strings! I play the violin and piano, and I did my diploma in viola as well, I was in the National Childrens Orchestra when I was really young. They did lots of tours and performances. I don’t really know if that’s still a big thing nowadays, but I guess a lot of them just do Britains Got Talent. I’m not so sure I was cut out for it though. I just wanted to be at the front and singing! 

I read something about that you tried to represent the UK at Eurovision, but BBC didn’t wanted that because of the talent show X-Factor. Is that true? 
Kitty: Yeah – I heard that unofficially from quite a few people. And to be fair, I don’t think the UK really takes Eurovision seriously. If they asked me to do it, I’d of course consider it, but I don’t think they will. I’m not really a “BBC” kind of artist. I’m too outspoken! 

What are you expecting in the first Semi-Final ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa’ on 24th of February 2015, are you excited?
Kitty: Ridiculously! But also mega nervous! 

Are you a Eurovision fan? 
Kitty: Of course! I’m a huge fan. I’ve watched it ever since I was about 13. 

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs?
Kitty: 'Diva' by Dana International, and 'Euphoria' by Loreen. Oh! ...and 'Fly on the Wings of Love'. That’s an amazing song – I think it was better as a dance track though. 


What is your first Eurovision memory?
Kitty: Gina G! 

Which kind of music do you hear in private?
Kitty: Actually I really love lots of theatrical metal bands, like Within Temptation. I’m a huge WT fan. Aerosmith, and also my manager produced the Judas Priest album Sad Wings of Destiny so I’ve been listening to a lot of that! I love all music though. I’m a big Britney Spears fan. 2001 Britney though. Slave 4 U Britney. With the snake. Nobody will ever top that. 

Who Kitty in private?
Kitty: I just love watching sci-fi movies and generally chilling out! I love a good spa day! 

What makes a day for you perfect?
Kitty: Ahhh give me a day recording in the studio and I’m happy. 

What are your plans for 2015 beside ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa’?
Kitty: Well, I’m hoping to release another album this year and then maybe another single as well. But I really want to be in Vienna in May, flying the flag for Moldova!!! 

What was the most excited moment in your life? 
Kitty: Haha! Probably when I got through to the semi finals! No, seriously. I am obsessed with Eurovision. It’s my dream to do this! 

What are your wishes for the future? 
Kitty: To be super successful and to perform at Madison Square Garden. That’s the ultimate dream! 

Why should the audience from Moldova vote for your song to represent Moldova at Eurovision 2015? 
Kitty: Because I will give them a show that they have never had before, and also because I really want to send the message that you can achieve your dreams. No matter where you are or where you come from – you can be a Kitty Diva and never be afraid to be yourself again. 

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans? 
Kitty: Big diva hugs and let’s see what happens!!! :-) :-)

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in ‘O Melodie Pentru Europa 2015’ and maybe we see us in Vienna! 

Find out more about Kitty Brucknell and follow her:


No comments:

Post a Comment