Friday, February 5, 2016

Latvia: Exclusive! Interview with Marta Grigale "My song 'Choices' is a complex message sent with simple lyrics"

Marta Grigale (© Martins Cirulis)
Marta Grigale is one of the contestants for the Latvian national selection "Supernova 2016" with her song "Choices". She will perform on 7th February 2016 in Riga.


We had the chance to talk to Marta Grigale some days ago about her participation in the Latvian national selection "Supernova 2016". Read our interview with her below to find out what she had to say...


Hello Marta, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the Latvian national selection “Supernova 2016”.  

How does it feel to be part of the national selection with your song “Choices”?
Marta: It’s quite amazing, really. I never thought I would get this far. 

Who had the idea that you could participate in the Latvian national selection and who decided “Choices”?
Marta: It was definitely my own idea. I wanted to push myself and just do it, as I already wanted to last year but never did. It was something I had to do for myself to prove that I can do it and see how far I could get. I am usually very sceptical and critical about the creative stuff that I do and so this was a great way to check what others think about it and whether I’m on the right path. 

What is the message of "Choices"?
Marta: It is a complex message sent with simple lyrics. You see, every day and every moment we either do something or we don’t. And these things that we do or don’t do are the choices that we make constantly. Each choice means that we are affecting what is going to happen next and we will never know how it would have been and could have been. For example, I don’t know who is going to read this interview and whether it’s going to affect them somehow. Perhaps because of reading it, they won’t have time to read something else, you know. Some choices probably don’t mean anything and don’t change anything either, but so many do, and that’s what the song is about.

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career? 
Marta: I’ve been singing since childhood. I started studying music and playing the Piano when I was 5. I went to London College of Music and gained a bachelors degree in Musical Theatre. Since then I’ve been back in Latvia, doing professional acting and working at the radio (Pieci.lv). In the meanwhile I’ve been writing songs but only recently I’ve started recording and playing them to a wider audience. I hope to continue doing it as I love singing and creating my own music.

What are you expecting in the national selection “Supernova 2016”, are you excited?
Marta: I am excited for sure! Excited and a little scared at the same time, haha. I’m always quite critical about myself and I know that I can always do better, but I will just try to concentrate and not let the nervousness take over. I will do my best and hope people like it!

How do you prepare yourself for the show? 
Marta: I’ve been taking singing lessons and practicing! That’s it, really. Been doing some singing in front of the mirror, haha :) And, of course, I have put a lot of thought into how I’m going to look and what I’ll be wearing. 
Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in the Latvian national selection and maybe we see us in Stockholm! 

Support Marta Grigale and her music. Listen to her entry "Choices" on Spotify:


Find out more about Marta Grigale and follow her:

No comments:

Post a Comment