Saturday, March 8, 2014

NORWAY: Exclusive! Interview with Moi "It's an honor to be part of something this big"

Moi (Ingjerd Østrem Omland) is one of the 15 Semi-Finalists for 'Melodi Grand Prix 2014' in Norway with her song called 'Bensin'. The winning act will be selected on 'Melodi Gran Prix 2014' in the National Final on March 15th. Moi will perform 'Bensin' in the third Semi-Final on March 9th with start no 1.

Listen to the song from Moi here:


We had the chance to talk to Moi about her participation in the Norvegian competition. Read our interview with her to find out what she had to say...

Hello Moi, first of all gratulations that you are one of the participants for the National Selection ‘Melodi Grand Prix’ 

How does it feel to be one of the Semi-Finalists with the song ‘Bensin’? 
Moi: Great! The song Bensin was one I wrote a few years ago, and I had actually put it away for good when the Jury contacted me about MGP. So all that is happening now, the radioplay and so in, is one big bonus!

Who had the idea that you could take part in ‘Melodi Grand Prix 2014’? 
Moi: The jury thought of me and convinced me it would be fun. They were right!

Why it was chosen to sing in Norvegian language and not in English?
Moi: As the artist Moi I sing in Norwegian. It’s a beautiful language and even more fun to work with when it comes to lyrics. It’s a different way of thinking, your more undressed when you sing in Norwegian in front of Norwegians – that’s challenging. I like it! So when they asked moi to join MGP, it was natural that I would not translate my song to English.

Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Bensin’?
Moi: It’s a song I wrote a few years ago, and had almost forgotten about it. But when the MGP-jury asked for some of my songs this one popped up for some reason. It’s exciting to be both the composer and the performer. The sound of the song is made by the brilliant producers  Erlend Fauske and Odd Martin Skålnes (Your Favourite Music). The song is about getting too far into something you knew you shouldn’t, and is summed up with the feeling when you sit there, realizing you had been better off without it.



How will your stage performance be in the Semi-Final?
Moi:I will focus on delivering the lyrics. We’re going for the intimate, hopefully strong performance. I will be alone on stage, and its all about the message. The light-designer has done a great job aswell. NRK have said they want this year to be all about the songs, as ESC originally started, hopefully I will contribute to that!

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career? 
Moi: Surrounded by mountains in the south of Norway, with hardly any TV and radio reception, I started writing songs when I was six. Don’t know where it came from, don’t have musicians in my family. Moved to Tasmania when I was 17 and started writing songs in English and bought a second hand guitar. Came back to Norway with no doubt; I was gonna be a musician. Came third in a talent competition at my local radio (2003), got picked up by a producer, and have been going since. Playing around Norway, doing Moi and other projects, including writing for other artists. Found it hard to find inspiration in 2009, decided to leave my ipod at home – went backpacking in Asia for seven months. Climbed peaks in the Himalayas, looking after sheep at the border between Mongolia and Russia. Came back to Norway, went thorugh my computer and heard the songs I had made with my producer Erlend Fauske just before the trip. Thought I’d give them one last chance, posted them on NRKs page URØRT (similar to myspace). The week after P3 listed one of my songs, Universal called and I got in the URØRT of the year final. Not long after I won a competition to make the best cover version of the Norwegian success band Kaizers Orchestra’s song Hjerteknuser. That made me rediscover singing in my own dialect, and since then I have been writing Norwegian lyrics. Now my third album is finished – due to be released after the MGP.

What are you expecting in ‘Melodi Grand Prix’ on 8th of March, are you excited?
Moi: I’m a part of the 9th of March semifinal. I’m expecting to have a good time, lot of nerves and a great time backstage. Theres lot of cool people in my run! It’s an honor to be a part of something this big.

Are you a Eurovision fan? 
Moi: Used to be the highlight of the year when I was little. So yes – good memories!

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Norway participants?
Moi: I don’t know. I remember feeling very proud when Nocturne won. They were different.

There are any artists with whom you would like to work?
Moi: Too many! I’d take Beyonce every day, haha!

Which kind of music do you hear in private?
Moi: All kinds. Now Rhye is a favorite. 

What makes you happy?
Moi: Talented people and a good view. Love climbing mountains. And listen an make music of course!

What makes a day for you perfect?
Moi: Time to go for a run far off where theres no people!


What are your plans in music for 2014 beside ‘MGP’?

Moi: I’m releasing my third album when MGP is over. It’s already finished, mastered in Abbey Road Studios last week – so Im excited!!



What was the most excited moment in your life? 
Moi: I don’t know – but remember when I heard my song on the radio for the first time in 2003. And when I watch the sun rise over Mt. Everest with my boyfriend after climbing to 6000metres above sea level.

What are your wishes for the future? 
Moi: To be able to finish what I have started and worked hard for. AND have a good time every day. Enjoying my everyday life!

Why should the audience from Norway vote for your song to represent Norway at Eurovision 2014? 
Moi: If they like it – vote! If not – vote for the one you like :) I’m honored anyway.

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans? 
Moi: Thank you so much for your interest! Means a lot.

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in ‘Melodi Grand Prix’ and maybe we see us in Copenhagen! 


Find out more about Moi and follow her:


No comments:

Post a Comment