Monday, March 10, 2014

GERMANY: Exclusive! Interview MarieMarie "I was totally surprised about the participation in 'USfD"

MarieMarie is one of the 8 finalists for 'Unser Song für Dänemark' in Germany with her songs 'Cotton Candy Hurricane' and 'Candy Jar'. The winning act will be selected on 'Unser Song für Dänemark' in the National Final on march 13th in Cologne.

Listen to the songs from MarieMarie here:

MarieMarie released her first album 'Dream Machine' on February 7th and we had the chance to talk to her on her promo tour in Cologne before the concert on February 19th.




Read our interview with her to find out what she had to say..


Hello MarieMarie, gratulations that you are one of the eight finalists for Germanys ‚Unster Song für Dänemark‘ on March 13th in Cologne. 

A lot of things are happening with you right now. On 7th of February you released you first album called ‘Dream Machine’, you are  touring right now through Germany and you take part in Germanys national selection called ‘Unser Song für Dänemark’. How are you? 
MarieMarie:  I let myself currently pretty drive. I had thought it is exhausting, but actually everything is very relaxed. I just want to focus only on my stuff, which is a constant flow. And that's good. I am very happy with the guys on tour.

How does it feel to perform the songs from your first album live on stage in front of the audience?
MarieMarie: For me this is totally good. I play the material for quite some time. Between producing the album and the album release is now more than a half year. We are by now a well-established team. To play every evening such a program is of course something else. It feels good.

Which are your favorite songs from the album ‚Dream Machine‘?
MarieMarie: That’s not so easy. I like very much the song ‘White’. The sound is very good. ‘Cotton Candy Hurricane’ I like also very much. 

What does it mean for you to take part in the national selection from Germany?
MarieMarie in Cologne, 19.02.2014
MarieMarie:  That’s a big thing. I remember very well what I did as I got the info. We recorded the bonus cd for ‘Dram Machine (Special Edition)’ which is called ‘The Engine’. We were under time pressure to finish ‘The Engine’. As the info came to participate in the national selection I only thought ‘Ok, and now?!‘ As the album was finished I became aware of what a big thing this is. I must admit, I never was a big ESC fan and haven’t watched the full show, because I don’t have a TV at home and I also never owned one in my life. The first time as I have pursued the Eurovision Song Contest was in 2010 as Lena Meyer-Landrut sung for Germany ‘Satellite’ and won the contest. Since than, I’m no one that looks the entire show, but I watch performances which interest me. I was totally surprised about the participation in ‚Unser Song für Dänemark‘.

Who decide which two of your songs will take part in the national selection?
MarieMarie:  There is a jury and I had applied. The jury will decide by artist and by song. It was not until we had another song in the race, but the jury did not like the song. Then they decided on, Cotton Candy Hurricane 'and' Candy Jar'. ,Cotton Candy Hurricane ' has always been the favorite of all and it will be also the first song I will sing on 13 March in Cologne.

What are you expecting in ‚Unser Song für Dänemark‘?
MarieMarie:  I only wanna looking forward what comes. I wanna do a relaxed performance on stage.  That’s the best for all steakholders (public and on stage). I’m a newcomer and right now I don’t wanna think about to win, otherwise I get very nervous. Of course, to win would be the top jackpot. :)

Have you already heared the songs from the other participants?
MarieMarie:  I few songs I already heared, but not all. I know Medline Juno and of course Unheilig. I was more interested in the other participants than in their songs for this competition. I wanna keep my appearance simple. Music should be focused.

In 2006/2007 you have studied in Boston at the Berklee College of Music. Can you tell us something about your experiences?
MarieMarie:  It was a very exciting and a formative time for me. A time that has me inspired and influenced the long term. I think the most important thing I took away from the time this feeling is that it is possible to put everything on one card. Things to do that are first unrealistic. Optimistic tackle things. , Yes I can, I do it and I put this to get through this'. If it goes wrong you can still decide what you do as a plan 'B'. In Germany all this is a very slow heart rate and very peaceful. When I went over the first time I was a bit shocked, as if I would be on a highway. 24 hours a day all have done something .. rehearsed and practiced and played music and recorded stuff. It was a very nice experience.

You're a singer, songwriter and harpist. What do you like most?
MarieMarie: Let's call it, a musician '. It's not so easy to answer what is the most fun. It seems easiest to distinguish between the studio recordings and live situation. Again, I can not decide which is better or what is worse for me. There are two different processes. I just think this diversity of these individual steps is it that I like so much. It is so multi-faceted. When I write a song I'm at home alone in my room and sit down in the morning at 10 clock at my desk and tell me ‘Now I write a song 'and then I switch my mobile off. Now I'm on tour and almost every day in a different city. It is precisely this change what I need :)

You made a cover version from ‚Wicked Game‘ from Chris Issak on your album. The original is from 1990 – you were in the age of 6 that time. How it came about?
MarieMarie:  This is a very goog song. ‚Wicked Game‘ is a song which I play live since a longer time.  I had a phase in which I had not even played it. Just before I went to the production of the bonus cd ‘The Engine’ I had played this song spontaneously at a concert as an encore and it has felt so good. Than I had the idea to record this song and put it on the deluxe edition of ‘Dream Machine’. I like the version very much and a fellow musician has played the organ. I remember how I heard the song for the first time. I was at home and my boyfriend that time has played a MTV unplugged compilation. It was in the morning and I was in the shower when I heard this song and thought to myself, What is it!? 'This is a man with a woman's voice, as he always sings very high. I heard it only from a distance.  
Listen to MarieMarie - Wicked Game

Which artists inspire you and with whom you would like to work together?
MarieMarie:  A lot. I've had so many different times in my life. I have moments in my live I hear a lot of classical music or a lot of Jazz. There are more inspiring personalities. I think Björk very inspiring. I admire what she does. She is so consistent in terms of the realization of their concepts. Not always do the same and to reinvent itself again and again and try new things and test, which I find very exciting to her. I saw her last summer on the Berlin Festival live after Casper. It's been a bit of megalomania which it operates. They had a huge machine above the stage. With some great songs flashes were generated. She also had a choir on stage with 20 singers. It was a great presentation. She has very extreme live performances. I would like to collaborate with Björk and get to know how her recording process works.

Which plans do you have for 2014 beside your tour and the national selection ‘Unser Song für Dänemark’
MarieMarie: I think this year I will be a lot on tour. I also want to write new songs for a second album. Through the tour rehearsals and the album promotion there was no time to write new songs. 

Who is MarieMarie in private?
MarieMarie:  It’s not a big difference. On stage I’m very extroverted. As private person I’m more of a very reclusive type. I also like it quiet and to be alone.

What is your favorite Eurovision song?
MarieMarie: I liked the performance from Loreen in 2012 from ‚Euphora‘ very much. 

Do you have a special message for the readers of ‚Join Us on Eurovision‘?
MarieMarie: I hope we all will have a lot of fun at the German national final ‚Unser Song für Dänemark‘ on March 13th in Cologne.  

Thank you so much for answer our questions and good luckyou’re your two songs in ‘Unser Song für Dänemark’ in Cologne. See you there!


Find out more about MarieMarie and support her:

No comments:

Post a Comment