Saturday, February 13, 2016

Latvia: Exclusive! Interview with Mārtiņš Ruskis "I have combined my passion and job in one"

Mārtiņš Ruskis  is one of the contestants for the Latvian national selection "Supernova 2016" with his song "Still Holding Stars". He will perform in the second Heat of "Supernova 2016" on 14th February 2016 in Riga.

We talked to Mārtiņš Ruskis some days ago about his participation in the Latvian national selection "Supernova 2016". Read our interview with him below to find out what he had to say...

Hello Mārtiņš, first of all congratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the Latvian national selection “Supernova 2016”.

How does it feel to be part of the national selection with your song “Still Holding Stars”?
Mārtiņš: I feel very touched because this is the first time I am participating with my own original song.

Who had the idea that you could participate in the Latvian national selection and who decided “Still Holding Stars”?
Mārtiņš: It was my own idea to go to the selection of “Supernova” this year. At that moment we were recording the song “Daļa no sirds” which is the Latvian version of “Still Holding Stars” and I decided to put it on for evaluation. And as a surprise, the judges decided that mine is one of the best 20 songs. Here you can read the Latvian version of "Still Holding Stars" which is called "Daļa No Sirds" ("A Piece Of Your Heart").


What is the message of "Still Holding Stars"?
Mārtiņš: The song is mostly about love, this time not with the happy ending. Sometimes love can be very selfish and it can hurt one of the involved parties for a long time. With the help of this song I will tell my unfinished love story exactly on Valentine’s day.

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Mārtiņš: In my opinion, for most of the musicians the beginning of career is very similar. I started singing at school, I remember very clearly it was a class Christmas event, I had prepared a very popular Latvian song and performed it in front of the whole class. I received a lot of ovations and that inspired me to start my way into music. First step onto the big stage was almost 5 years ago when I participated in the reality TV show “OKartes Skatuve”. In this TV show I spent 8 months and at the end got the 1st place.

2010 you have won the talent show “Galleria Riga Idol”. What has changed in your life after that victory?
Mārtiņš: It was one of the first steps into my solo career. After winning this contest I got a cash price worth 500 Latvian lats (LVL) and I invested this money in my first solo song and it’s video. Interesting fact – the author of the song is Markus Riva who is also a contestant in the next Supernova selection this Sunday.

In 2012 you played a key role in the musical “Dzimuši mūzikai”. Tell us something more about these experiences and if there are any plans to continue this business…
Mārtiņš: This was my first experience being the lead in a play. Undoubtedly it was very exciting. We collaborated with professionals to make the best out of this play. All together we did only 6 shows but they were all sold out. At this moment I have received an invitation to participate in a musical play but not as the lead. Although it also isn’t bad, because the responsibility isn’t as high and if the part is bright enough people will still remember you.

What are you expecting in the national selection “Supernova 2016”, are you excited?
Mārtiņš: Of course I am very excited and nervous about how audience and the judges will welcome me. Although it will not be the first time performing on this stage, I still have to stay alert. It will be a chance to gain more experience.

(© Krista Strade)
How do you prepare yourself for the show?
Mārtiņš: At this moment I am actively going to my vocal teacher to stabilize my knowledge as well as we are working on making the song sound as good as possible. I’m not preparing a huge show. I think it is time for mu music to speak and I don’t want to put the attention anywhere else.

Are you a Eurovision fan?
Mārtiņš: I wouldn’t call myself a fan, but I do follow this event once a year.

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Latvian entries?
Mārtiņš: First that comes to mind is Loreen with “Euphoria”, Mans Zelmerlow with “Heroes”, Ott Lepland with “Kuula” and since childhood the song “Keine Grenzen” performed by Ich Troje is stuck in my memory! From Latvian artists 
  • Brainstorm  with “My Star”, 
  • Ivo Fomins with  “Dziesma par laimi” 

What is your first Eurovision memory?
Mārtiņš: First memory of Eurovision that I can recall is with the first year that Latvia participated in the contest and Brainstorm received the 3rd place. I remember when I was a little boy and I followed every step of their way! At that point the rest of the participants were very unimportant to me.

What are your plans for 2016 beside the Latvian national selection, are you working on a album?
Mārtiņš: At this moment I am working on my next concert program preparation and also I am writing and recording new songs. This year I am planning on starting studies in the Latvian Music Academy, the academic vocal class. Who knows, maybe after a few years I will be seen on a completely different stage.

What was the most excited moment in your life?
Mārtiņš: It has a lot to do with my professional career. Every five years there is this magnificent song and dance festival in Latvia – “Dziesmu un deju svētki” and I had the honor of performing solo on one of the songs together with a choir of more than 15000 people.  Indescribable emotions.

If people outside Latvia never heard about you before – what should they know about you?
Mārtiņš: People say that I am a pleasant young person with a strong voice and velvety timbre. One of my favorite things to do is making music and yes – I have combined my passion and job in one :)

Why should the Latvian audience vote for your song to represent Latvia at Eurovision 2016?
Mārtiņš: I don’t think that anyone should be particularly asked to vote. Everything relies on the principle of like or dislike. I will be happy about everyone who decides that my song is worth voting for.

Do you have a message for “Join Us on Eurovision” readers and your fans?
Mārtiņš: I wish that each reader makes his dreams reality. Even when it seems unreal and impossible there is always that point when you realize – I have lived my dream, now is the turn for the next one!

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in the Latvian national selection and maybe we see us in Stockholm!

Support Mārtiņš Ruskis and his music. Download his latest album "Pieskāriens" on iTunes or listen to it on Spotify:



Find out more about Mārtiņš Ruskis and follow him:

No comments:

Post a Comment