Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Slovenia: Exclusive! Interview with Anja Baš "I want to do good things for our society and the young ones"

Anja Baš is one of the contestants for the Slovenian national selection "EMA 2016" with her song "What If". She will perform in the national final of "EMA 2016" on 27th February 2016. The full song isn't available yet, but here you can watch a live performance of "Svetlo Sonce".

We talked to Anja Baš some days ago about her participation in the Slovenian national selection "EMA 2016". Read our interview with her below to find out what she had to say...

(© Jani Ugrin, RTVSLO)
Hello Anja, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the Slovenian national selection “EMA 2016”.

How does it feel to be part of the national selection with your song “What If”?
Anja: Thank you very much! :) It feels great as it was my wish for a long time. But it's also a great responsibility, because it's a national selection and I'd lie if I said I don't want to win ;)

Who had the idea that you could participate in the Slovenian national selection and who decided “What If”?
Anja: It was entirely my idea, and I also wrote the song myself, and that's what I'm proud of most. I'm presenting myself not only as a singer, but also as a songwriter, lyricist, arranger. And performer.

What is the message of "What If"?
Anja: You can always turn your inner battles into your own success. If somebody's manipulating you it's not theirs but your fault, because you let it happen. It's an empowering song. Dramatic, melancholic, but also powerful.

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Anja: I always knew I was gonna be an artist, even when I was a kid. I never wanted to be “just” a singer – even though it's a great way to express yourself it was never enough to me. I've got to be able to express my thoughts through my lyrics, arrangements, chords I put together. It's kind of my drug to write songs. When I started as a singer, everybody was telling me to get some good song (which would be written by other authors), but I never wanted that. I took the long path of learning to write my own songs, and it is a tougher road, but a more satisfying one, too – at least for me. I've been leading singer of a rock band in my teenagerhood, later I was frontgirl of another good rock group, but doing that kept on leaving me empty. It was not satisfying. I had to have a band of my own, songs of my own, career of my own. Now that I do, I couldn't be happier. I could've done in my twenties, but I was way too shy and I had too low self esteem back then. I didn't trust my judgement. But I'm not sorry, it's my life and I love it. I'd do it all again.

What are you expecting in the national selection “EMA 2016”, are you excited?
Anja: I'm excited as hell! :D I can't wait for EMA. I've got high expectations of myself, but my first priority is to be professional and still enjoy my performance.

How do you prepare yourself for the show?
Anja: I sing a lot, I do a lot of workouts, trainings to be in a good physical shape, I prepare myself every day. The most important thing for me is to really present my song in a “holistic” way, together with my inner state and philosophy. I'm really looking forward to this show.

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Slovenian history?
Anja: My favourite is Alexander Rybak's winning song Fairytale. From Slovenian entries I liked Nuša Derenda a lot, and also Sestre and Maja Keuc.
What is your first Eurovision memory?
Anja: I couldn't say exactly, we were always watching it with my parents when I was a kid, imagining myself on the big stage.

What are your plans for 2016 beside the Slovenian national selection, are you working on a album?
Anja: I just released a book about my experience with bulimia in my teenagerhood, so it will be a lot about the book. If you wanna know more about it read here. Beside that I'm planning on making my second album (I released the first one last year), it would also be nice to take part in some other festival, have a lot of live gigs with my band... And also take some time off :)

What was the most excited moment in your life?
Anja: The day I decided I was gonna recover from a long battle with bulimia.

If people outside Slovenia never heared about you before – what should they know about you?
Anja: I'm here to make lots of music and, hopefully, also give other people support and hope in battling eating disorders and other difficulties that life brings. I want to do good things for our society and the young ones. Show them that even though they're young, they are not powerless.

Why should the Slovenian audience vote for your song to represent Slovenia at Eurovision 2016?
Anja: I'll do my best to justify that through my performance on EMA.

Do you have a message for “Join Us on Eurovision” readers and your fans?
Anja: I really hope to meet all of you some day! :-) Be strong and believe in yourselves!

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in the Slovenian national selection and maybe we see us in Stockholm!

Support Anja Baš and her music. Download her latest album on iTunes or listen to it on Spotify: 

For other possibilities check the stores in your country. 

Find out more about Anja Baš and follow her:


No comments:

Post a Comment