Saturday, February 13, 2016

Latvia: Exclusive! Interview with Madara Grēgere "Supernova is a big challenge for me and I like challenges"

Madara Grēgere is one of the contestants for the Latvian national selection "Supernova 2016" with her song "You and I". She will perform in the second heat of "Supernova 2016" on 14th February 2016 in Riga.

Some day ago we talked to Madara Grēgere some days ago about her participation in the Latvian national selection "Supernova 2016". Read our interview with her below to find out what she had to say...

Hello Madara, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the Latvian national selection “Supernova 2016”.

How does it feel to be part of the national selection with your song “You and I”?
Madara: There are no words how to describe feelings! I am very happy,when I get message that I am in final 20 I was in a Hockey game. I didn’t know what to do – I was very happy. And in that moment hockey was left in a 2nd  plan I started to call my family and told them the great news. Deep in my heart I believed that I made to top 20 and when it came true I was so happy.

Who had the idea that you could participate in the Latvian national selection and who decided “You and I”?
Madara: It was my own idea. I wrote a song for Supernova contest. Then I passed the selection and got to the semi-final. I am very proud that my song withstood the competition among all the songs. I am of the people who go to their goal.Supernova is a big challenge for me and I like challenges. I am very happy that I can participate with my own song,

What is the message of "You and I"?
Madara: My songs message is to motivate all listeners. You need to follow your heart, don’t stop believing in yourself if you make a mistake,just do your best and make your dream come true with your people who you love!
Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Madara: I started to sing when I was 3 years old. I was a member of children's pop group “C-Stones” I have amazing memories about this time.We participated in many contests all around the world. I started my own career when I was 13 years old. In 2011 I took a part in reality show “Okartes Skatuve”, it was a great experience In this show I started to write my own original songs.
Important achievements :
  • ”Latvian talented girl 2005”
  • “Little Miss World 2005” 5th runner up
  • ”Caribbean gold” 2nd runned up
  • Reality show “Okartes skatuve” participant (2011-2012)
  • Latvian Eurovision semifinal participant with group “4 vēji” 2013.

What are you expecting in the national selection “Supernova 2016”, are you excited?
Madara: Welllll… I’m very excited! I can’t wait when I will show people my       performance! I can whisper that I will have a very interesting look :))

How do you prepare yourself for the show?
Madara: I have a wonderful friend Ieva, she owns her own dance studio. When I wrote to her that I will need a show for my song, she wrote me back – no problem! We started rehearsals at the end of december! And now when it’s only 2 weeks left we rehersal 3 times in a week. And of course singing lessons twice a week.

Are you a Eurovision fan?
Madara: Yes I am! I watch Eurovision every year! And in this year I have the chance to get to big final!

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Latvian entries?
Madara: My favorites are – Loreen – “Euphoria”,Lena- “Satellite”, Mans Zelmerlow – “Heroes”, and of course our Aminata “ Love injected”. And from this year Latvian entries Justs Sirmais “Heartbeat” and Mārtiņš Ruskis “Still holding stars”.

What is your first Eurovision memory?
Madara: For me the first Eurovision memory is when Latvia won a Eurovision. It was in 2002! Everybody was talking about Latvia and our great singer Maria Naumova.

What are your plans for 2016 beside the Latvian national selection, are you working on a album?
Madara: I’m currently studying Music Management at the Latvian Culture College, I’m writing my original song and the biggest plan for this year is to make my debut album.

What was the most excited moment in your life?
Madara: My excited moment was when my first brother was born. I am the happiest sister in the world! Now I have 2 brothers and 1 sister!

 If people outside Latvia never heared about you before – what should they know about you?
Madara: I am very ambitious girl. I love music,I love everything about it! I’m very blessed that I can show my emotions for all people with my own songs! I know that people outside Latvia will heard my name in the future!

Why should the Latvian audience vote for your song to represent Latvia at Eurovision 2016?
Madara: I think that my song is very catchy. Many people wrote to me that my song is in their minds all day long, and for me it’s the important thing! If you can sing my songs chorus – “You and I “ in the middle of the night, then I am the winner! My strengths for reaching the top in this competition are – a lot of work, love for music and  positive attitude.

Do you have a message for “Join Us on Eurovision” readers and your fans?
Madara: Dear fans, cross your fingers for me in Supernova and follow your dreams because together we make it!

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in the Latvian national selection and maybe we see us in Stockholm!
Madara: Thank you for taking the time to write about me, I appreciate that a lot. I hope that you got all the information you needed and please don’t hesitate to write me if you need anything else.

Support Madara Grēgere and her music. Download her entry "You and I" on iTunes or listen to it on Spotify:


For other possibilities check the stores in your country.

Find out more about Madara Grēgere and follow her:

No comments:

Post a Comment