Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Hungary: Exclusive! Interview with András Petruska "I like to challenge myself from time to time, and "A Dal 2016" is a great opportunity.

András Petruska is one of the contestants for the Hungarian national selection "A Dal 2016" with his song "Trouble In My Mind". He is one of the finalists of "A Dal 2016" on 27th February 2016.

We talked to András Petruska some days ago about his participation in the Hungarian national selection "A Dal 2016". Read our interview with him below to find out what he had to say...


Hello András, how does it feel to be part of the Hungarian national selection “A Dal 2016” with your song “Trouble In My Mind”?
AndrásIt's a great challenge and I'm having a ball. We're enjoying ourselves with my team and it's great to work with such a great crew on the sound and vision. And the fact that my song has a bit of success makes it a lot more easier.

Who had the idea that you could participate in the Hungarian national selection and who decided “Trouble In My Mind”?
AndrásIt was all me. Though my music is not that typical Eurovision style number, you never know what could be interesting. So I thought, why not trying it? I have quite a lot experience in doing festival and club gigs, but had never tried this kind of big tv show. I like to challenge myself from time to time, and this was a great opportunity.

What is the message of "Trouble In My Mind"?
AndrásYour question is a funny one as you literally quote the first line of my song! It's actually a sad thing when an artist doubts his own message. It happened to me, but in general it can be true to my Eastern-European, post communist, f•••ed up version of Y-generation. From the day we were born and educated we were told how to behave, how not to risk, how not to show our vulnerability and how not to follow our dreams. What did we get? A bunch of people not living their on life, feeling completely lost entering adulthood. But you can change. It might be painful, but if you face all your problems that are pulling you back and you start working on them, I believe it's a path to a happier, more independent life.

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
AndrásI'm playing the guitar and singing since I was 9. I had some bands with original material in different musical genres for more than a decade before I found out I want to play singer-songwriter solo acoustic music. That was the point where I found my place in the music scene and gained some following all through Hungary. My first record 'Metropolita' came out 2 years ago, which is a concept album about Budapest. Each song is a stop of the newest metro line in our capital. My second album is coming out in a month and was inspired by my 30th birthday.

What are you expecting in the national selection “A Dal 2016”, are you excited?
AndrásI'm much more relaxed than excited, I'm simply having fun. I try my best to concentrate on the moment whether it's the performance or a nice chat in the backstage. I don't feel I have anything to lose. Currently I'm having the most points in the contest and won the "Best New Artist" of A Dal' prize which is a great feedback that I'm worthy for this music scene. Of course I'd really like to represent Hungary in Stockholm, but I'm already happy for my achievements so far.

You already performed twice in the competition this year and you are one of the finalists. Can you tell us something about your experiences?
AndrásAs a musician I'm really interested in the technical part of the process. It's really inspiring to work with such a huge stage equipment and a nice crew. It's really empowering when lots of people, lot of creative minds gathered for one good reason. I feel safe.

How do you prepare yourself for the show, are you planning to make some changes for the next show?
AndrásI think it's a psychological challenge from now on. The song is written, we can perform it, the only question is if we can channel this energy to the audience and convey the message to the people. I think the gist of it is to have a good relationship with myself.Musically I'm pretty sure it's going to be different. We're performing quite a lot and we simply can't play the same way twice. I experience the same playfulness in the filming crew, so I bet they're also up to some visual change.

Are you a Eurovision fan?
AndrásI'm a fan of good popular music, songwriting skills and interesting performers. To tell you the truth I haven't found the clue to know what makes a good song a Eurovision song. For me Eurovision it's a good international celebration with many songs I like and some that are not my taste.

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Hungarian history?
AndrásMy favorite one is 'Waterloo' by ABBA. It still sounds fresh and exciting today. It's a powerful track, keeps you interested from beginning to the end. From all the Hungarian entries I like 'Kedvesem' by ByeAlex the most, it's such a courageous number. Boggie's 'Wars for Nothing' is close to my heart as she and her whole band are close friends. I even sing backing vocals on the studio version of that song.
What is your first Eurovision memory?
András'Kinek mondjam el vétkeimet?' by Friderika which was the first Eurovision entry for Hungary and still the most successful. A few years ago the composer, Szilveszter Jenei asked me to do a cover, which I did and eventually ended up on the 'B-side' of the 'Trouble in My Mind' single.


What are your plans for 2016 beside the Hungarian national selection, are you working on a album?
AndrásI'm currently finalizing my second album that has 'Trouble in My Mind'. It's coming out late March. Now we're in the mastering process and I've just seen the test printings - it will look great! From April on we'll be touring with the new material until the end of this year. We're really excited not only because of the fresh tunes but looking forward meeting the new fans who have just met my music through the tv screen.

What was the most excited moment in your life?
AndrásOne minute before my first Paul McCartney concert, when the lights went out and I knew I was going to see my hero live.

If people outside Hungary never heard about you before – what should they know about you?
AndrásI'm cheeky I know, but Google me, Facebook me, listen to the songs, they'll tell you what you'd like to know. ;-)

Why should the Hungarian audience vote for your song to represent Hungary at Eurovision 2016?
AndrásIt's an honest, brave little song with an intimate energy. I think it's time to leave behind the sparkling mask of starworld machinery and represent who we are, vulnerable human beings.

Do you have a message for “Join Us on Eurovision” readers and your fans?
AndrásAs I'm pretty new to the Eurovision community and it surprises me how big the following is of this event. It's great to be part of it, I really cherish the international support I already got from you guys and even made some friends. I wish you all the best in Stockholm whether we meet or not, and if you have any questions, comments on my music feel free to contact me on my platforms. :-)

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in the Hungarian national selection and maybe we see each other in Stockholm!
AndrásTack! Låt det vara :)
Support András Petruska and his music. Download his "A Dal 2016" entry on iTunes or listen to it on Spotify:


For other possibilities check the stores in your country.

Find out more about Petruska and follow him:

No comments:

Post a Comment