Friday, February 26, 2016

UK: Exclusive! Interview with Matthew James "I love the diversity of the ESC and the unpredictability of the winners"


Matthew James is known as lead singer from the boyband Bad Boys IncBBC confirmed Matthew as one of the contestants for the British national final of "Eurovision: You Decide" with the song "A Better Man".

We talked to Matthew some days ago about his participation in "Eurovision: You Decide", his entry "A Better Man" and the time as lead singer in the boy band Bad Boys Inc. Read our interview with him below to find out what he had to say...

Hello Matthew, first of all gratulations that you are one of the qualified participants for the UK national selection of “Eurovision: You Decide”.

How does it feel to be part of the national selection with your song “A Better Man”?
Matthew: It’s out of this world! I feel like my feet haven’t touched the floor since we were finally announced on Monday on BBC Radio 2.  I’m so glad every one got to hear ‘A Better Man’, a song that I’m so proud to be singing.

What was your motivation to submit a song for the British national selection and who decided “A Better Man”?
Matthew: One of the three writers, Helienne Lindvall submitted 2 songs for the UK.  Both songs made it into the top ten and ‘A Better Man’ made the final six.  She’s a great writer and now a good friend too.  She has worked with the best and we feel that we have a very strong song with a great uplifting message to represent the UK this year in Stockholm.

What is the message of "A Better Man"?
Matthew: The message is simple. It’s about love. Finding ‘the one’ who makes you feel alive.  Someone who inspires you and makes you feel that you can be yourself and the best person you can be.  It’s empowering, uplifting and heartfelt. It’s a song that can reach your heart string and lift your spirit.

Can you tell us something about the beginning of your career?
Matthew: I started performing when I was very young.  My first job was appearing a Tom Stoppard play ‘Night & Day’ in London’s West End.  I played Dame Maggie Smith’s son. She was incredible to work with and called me “A darling” when I had to do an audition for her before getting the part! I moved into more acting and this lead to singing too. I studied at a drama school part time from the age of 8 and then a brief spell at The London Studio Centre.  I only stayed a short while as I was offered Bad Boys Inc.  I was lead singer with the band for two years and we travelled the world promoting and performing.  It was such an incredible journey. We only split due to political wrangling and contractual problems.  It was like swimming upstream by the end and was a painful decision by us four members to call it a day.
You were lead singer of the boy band Bad Boys Inc. What happened after the break?
Matthew: When we split, there was so much stuff to sort out with contracts etc.  I laid low for a while and started working with various writers and producers to learn my craft.  We’d never really been encouraged as writers.  We were very controlled and that was really frustrating. I’d always enjoyed writing and creating songs.  My core is very creative.  What makes me tick, what makes me feel alive.  I recorded a lot of demos in the UK and Germany and also flew to the states to work with Ric Wake, which was a dream!

You already worked with the producers from Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston. Have you met them too?
Matthew: I first met Ric when towards the end of Bad Boys Inc I was flown out to New York to lay down a vocal on a track called “Wherever You Are” written by the wonderful Billy Mann.  Billy has since written for some incredible artists: Pink, John Legend and Celine Dion to name a few. I met Celine, Taylor Dayne, Liza Minelli and Nana Mouskouri whilst out in New York. It was a fun time.

Besides singing and songwriting you were actor in the musical “Boyband – The Musical”. Tell us something about your experiences and there are any plans to continue this business?
Matthew: I’ve always felt that acting was something that I love and would come in and out of my life when it felt right or the opportunities arose. Singing is my biggest passion and gives me the greatest buzz. In Boyband - The Musical I got to combine both and had a ball on stage in the West End with the rest of the cast. It was full on.  There were about 10 songs with dance routines and dialogue and scenes interspersed between these.  I only had a week to rehearse…it was crazy. I co-wrote one of the songs ‘We Got It All’ before I was even approached to appear in the show. So I’d never say never to acting again.  There’s no age limits or restrictions with acting so you may see me with an Oscar in hand one day soon! (laughs)

How do you prepare yourself for the show this Friday?
Matthew: It’s be a pretty full on week with interviews and rehearsals.  I like to stay present and in the moment. I’m excited for Friday’s live show.  There’s going to be such a buzz backstage.  The other acts are lovely.  We’ve only seen each other briefly flitting between fittings, rehearsals and interviews. It’ll be nice to finally get into the venue on Friday and get a taster of what Friday night’s section show will be like. There’s an incredible production team behind all this who’ve been working for months on this.  We all want it to a great night, and with Mel hosting and Katrina and Måns performing too, I know it’s gonna be electric. I’m trying to stay fit and healthy and get as much sleep as possible, but it’s been a crazy and exhilarating week.

Are you a Eurovision fan?
Matthew: Yes yes and thrice yes! I’ve always loved Eurovision. I’ve held parties. I lip-synced on a school trip with Natasha Cowood to Bardo ‘One Step Further’.  There’s nothing on this scale.  There’s nothing that brings countries together more.  It’s so great that this years them in Stockholm is ‘Coming Together’. I love the diversity of the ESC and the unpredictability of the winners.  To be part of this, with an opportunity to represent the UK really is a dream come true.

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from the history of UK?
Matthew: There are so many songs I love.  Our last winner in ’97, Katrina’s ‘Love Shine A Light’ is so uplifting and rousing even to this day.  That’s gonna give me goosebumps on Friday. Måns was a deserved winner last year.  ABBA’s ‘Waterloo’ win in Brighton stands out. I’ve been an ABBA fan from this day. Johnny Logan’s two winning songs are pure vintage Eurovision.  I’d have to say that ‘Making Your Mind Up’ Bucks Fizz has a special place in my heart.  I can remember being in my pyjamas at my grandparents house watching the show and being like a kid at Christmas.
What is your first Eurovision memory?
Matthew: It has to be Buck’s Fizz in 1981. As I said before I was so excited watching the show unfold and when they finally won it was such a great feeling. You could feel the excitement across the country.

What are your plans for 2016 beside “Eurovision: You Decide”, are you working on a album?
Matthew: I may have an album in the pipeline. I’m still writing and recording music all the time.  It’s what I love to do. Expect something pretty eclectic!

What was the most excited moment in your life?
Matthew: Up until now and what is coming Friday…it’s probably the day I joined Bad Boys Inc.

If people never heared about you before – what should they know about you?
Matthew: I’m a very happy upbeat person who is surrounded by wonderful friends and family. I have a very cheeky, funny side. I love to laugh and make others laugh too. I’m alive when I perform and sing. I also love being surrounded by loved ones.  Good company, good food and drink. I love to cook and entertain too. I love spending time with my two French Bulldogs, Fortnum and Mason. I’m one of those dog owners who constantly talks to his pets! (Laughs)

Who is Matthew as private person?
Matthew: I’m very open.  I have great friends.  I travel a fair deal with my band Madhen, so when I’m not in a far flung city then I love catching up with friends or chilling at home with my fiancé.

Why should UK vote for your song to represent United Kingdom at Eurovision 2016?
Matthew: I feel that I have a great song.  I have experience. I have been overwhelmed with the amazing comments from fans both old and new. I think that people will see that I perform ‘A Better Man’ with a heartfelt connection.  It’s a song that we can all relate to. I want to do the UK proud.

Do you have a message for “Join Us on Eurovision” readers and your fans?
Matthew: I’d like to thank you for this opportunity to tell you a bit about myself. I look forward to your comments and would love to get to meet you guys in person at some point to. If you’re coming down this Friday, I’ll see you there. Have a great Eurovision this year and savour every minute. Big love from me x

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in the British national selection and maybe we see us in Stockholm!

Support Matthew James and his music. "A Better Man" will be out soon. In the meantime you can download his song "Hooked Up On Your Love" on iTunes or listen to it on Spotify:


The British national final of "Eurovision: You Decide" takes place already on 26th February 2016. If you like Matthews entry, vote for him - because "You Decide"!

Find out more about Matthew James and follow him:

No comments:

Post a Comment