Thursday, April 3, 2014

NORWAY: Exclusive! Interview with Carl Espen "It is quite incredible"


Carl Espen (Carl Espen Thorbjørnsen) won the national final 'Melodi Grand Prix 2014' in Norway on 15th of March with his song 'Silent Storm'. He will represent Norway this year in Copenhagen in the second Semi-Final on 8th of May with start number 3.

Watch the official video of 'Silent Storm'



We had the chance to talk to Carl Espen some days after his victory in 'MGP 2014'. Read our interview below to find out what he had to say...


Hello Carl, first of all congratulations for your victory in the national final ‘Melodi Grand Prix’ last Saturday.

How does it feel to be the representative for Norway in Copenhagen with ‘Silent Storm’ this year?
Carl: I feel extremely humbled, honored and so happy that I get this opportunity. I can’t believe that Norway has chosen me to represent the nation in the biggest music contest in the world.

What was your first thought as you realised 'I won! I will represent my country on ESC 2014'?
Carl: When they announced the number of votes from the last part of Norway, I couldn’t believe my own ears. Everything has happened so fast, and all of a sudden I was the winner of the entire competition. It was the biggest experience in my entire life. So happy and so thankful for all the support. 

Who had the idea that you could take part in ‘Melodi Grand Prix 2014’?
Carl: It was my cousin Josefin Winther. She is an established artist and songwriter, and wanted to write a song that would be good for me. Both that would suit my voice, but also with lyrics that were true for me. A story that was mine to tell. She wrote «Silent Storm», and showed it to me. I knew right away that this the perfect song for me, and when she suggested ESC I said yes right away.
Carl Espen & cousin Josefin Winther

Why it was chosen to sing in English and not in Norvegian language?
Carl: The song was already written by Josefin Winther with English lyrics. I am very comfortable with singing in the English language, and it never crossed our minds to do it differently.

Can you tell us something about the story behind ‘Silent Storm’?
Carl: Josefin and I grew up together, and she knows me very well. She has known that I have carried a dream inside me, but also many difficult emotions. She sees me as a person that is calm on the outside, but that there is a lot of things happening right beneath the surface. I have had a fairly good life, but there has always been something in me that hasn’t quite found it’s place. There are feelings that are chaotic in me, and they can feel like having a silent storm inside. When Josefin showed me the song, she didn’t tell me that it was about me. But when I heard the lyrics I knew right away.


You grew up in a very musically family. Can you tell us something about that and the beginning of your career?
Carl: My mom always listened to music, and we were children Josefin’s dad and my mom would sing songs together. He wrote songs and played the guitar and they sang in harmonies. My cousin Josefin started to establish her career, and I always come to her concerts. She has been an inspiration to me, because she has followed her dream. I started singing when I was a teenager, and I participated in a small local singing competition. I won, and it was very inspiring for me. Since then I have only played music for myself and my closest friends and family. I have carried this dream for 15 years now.

What are you expecting in Copenhagen?
Carl: Well, people tell me it is going to be a very intense circus of fans, journalists and music. I am really looking forward to it, and I’m just so very grateful that I will get to experience this. It is quite incredible.

Are you a Eurovision fan?
Carl: I think I am an average Eurovision fan. I stay updated, but I don’t go to the actual shows. I really like «Waterloo» by ABBA.

Which are your favorite Eurovision songs and what is your favorite from Norwegian participants?
Carl: Maraget Berger is a really solid artist, and Karin Park her songwriter is also cool. I really enjoyed Dina Misund’s song this year, which is called «Needs». El Cuero from the Norwegian preselection this year are also really nice people, and they really know how to play rock music. Which I respect.

Can you tell us something about Carl in private and which kind of music do you like?
Carl: I love Jeff Buckley, Ryan Adams and Clutch. I spend a lot of time listening to music and I really enjoy it. Music is such a big part of my life and my emotions. I really love my family and they mean so much to me. My little niece is the cutest person in the world, and I often spend time with her.

What makes you happy?
Carl: Music, nature, going out with friends, working with my hands and building things.

What are your plans in music for 2014 beside Eurovision?
Carl: All my plans in music are being worked out these days. They will definitely be focused on Eurovision, and just to really make the most out of it.

What was the most excited moment in your life?
Carl: When I won the Norwegian final.

What are your wishes for the future?
Carl: To be a great artist, that sing good songs and to have a family of my own.

On 5th of April this years ‘Eurovision in Concert’ will take place in Amsterdam. Are you planing to join this event?
Carl: I’ve heard about that event, and I really hope I will be playing there.
(Note: Carl already confirmed his participation in Amsterdam)

Why should European people vote for ‘Silent Storm’?
Carl: If they hear Silent Storm and feel what I put into it, I think they should vote. I am telling a story about what it is like to be me, and I would love nothing more than for people to relate to the song. The song is true and it’s genuine, and if people like that, they should vote.

Do you have a message for ‘Join Us on Eurovision’ readers and your fans?
Carl: I thank the readers of «Join Us on Eurovision» for reading my words and taking interest in me. That is very flattering, and it makes me happy. So thank you for that. I hope you will keep following me and spread the love of good music.

Thank you so much for answer those questions. Good luck for you and your song in Copenhagen. See you there!


Find out more about Carl Espen and follow him:




No comments:

Post a Comment